What to Cook for Dinner?
Day One Oat Groats
I think most people like oatmeal. It is a great economical breakfast if you make it yourself at home. I have shared how I make our own instant oatmeal packets at home in the past.
But sometimes we want something a little different. Which is when I will make oat groats. I purchase the oat groats in the bulk food section at Winco Foods.
I think the last time I purchased the price was $.58/lb. So it makes for a very inexpensive breakfast.
Let me share the recipe I use at our home,
- 1 cup oat groats
- 3 cups water
- Milk and extra add-ins of your choice
- Place the oats in a pan and add the water.
- Boil them for about 3-5 minutes the night before, then cover and let soak overnight.
- In the morning, heat the oats to a simmer and cook with the lid slightly ajar for about 30-40 minutes.
- Once cooked add a little brown sugar or maple syrup and/or dried fruit.
- Add milk or soy milk to taste and enjoy.
What’s your favorite cheap and easy breakfast idea?