This time of year when it is cold and rainy or snowy, depending on where you live, I crave a nice hearty bowl of soup. I tried a few Chicken Pot Pie soup recipes recently and came up with one of my own that our whole family loves.
This recipe requires you cook the potatoes and carrots before adding them to the soup. But I think it is worth the extra step. I tried a recipe without the carrots and potatoes in it but it was just lacking. I like a lot of veggies in soups I make.
This recipe also calls for precooked chicken. I either use leftover chicken from the day before or a precooked chicken package out of my freezer.
To make the precooked chicken,
I purchase boneless skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale and then bake or grill them. Once the chicken is cooked and cooled, I will slice or cube the meat. Then, I package the cooked chicken in 2 cup packages for casseroles and soups.
This soup smells so good but also taste so delicious. I also like it doesn’t take long to make, which is always a plus for me. I think in just the last two months I have made this soup 3 or 4 times. It’s just that good.
I make pie strips to go on top instead of having crackers with this soup. Isn’t the pie crust one of the great things you love about chicken pot pie? So you won’t want to leave them out. I usually baked the pie crisps while the soup is simmering.
To make the pie crisps
Take one pie crust and cut it into strips. I make my pie crust from scratch but a store-bought one will work well too. Place the strips on a lined baking sheet and bake 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
We also serve our chicken pot pie with a little dairy-free cheese on top to make it extra yummy. Because isn’t everything better with a little cheese on it.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1-2 cups Chicken cooked and diced
- 2 Carrots sliced
- 3 Potatoes cubed
- 3 tablespoons Dairy Free "Butter" we like Earth Balance
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 3 Celery Stalks sliced
- 1 cup Fresh or Frozen Broccoli cut up
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas thawed
- 1/4 cup Unbleached Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 3/4 cup Dairy Free Milk we like soy milk
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 single pie crust homemade or store-bought
- Dairy Free Cheese for garnish
- In a large pot bring water to boil and add in the carrots and potatoes. Cook until just slightly softened and then drain. Set the cooked potatoes and carrots aside.
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, celery, and broccoli.
- Cook until softened about 4-5 minutes
- Sprinkle the cooked onions, celery and broccoli with flour and cook one minute.
- Slowly add the broth, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add in the cooked chicken, potatoes, thawed peas and carrots.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, roll out the single pie crust and cut into strips.
- Place on a lined cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once soup is done cooking. Serve hot with pie strips and garnish with dairy-free cheese.
What is your favorite soup to make this time of year? If you have a link to the recipe please share it in the comments. I love to try new soup recipes.
If You Liked this Recipe
Subscribe and you'll get Recipes
sent right to your inbox!
Click the button below and fill out the form.