Thanks to Good Cook for sending me the loaf pan and parchment paper to facilitate this post. The opinions are all my own.
This time of year, when it gets cold outside, is the time of year I love to bake. Not only does baking help to heat up the house but it also makes the house smell so wonderful and inviting.
Since I bake often, I like to share my baking creations with family, friends, and neighbors.
I really like making quick breads. They are easy to stir up and great for the kids to help out with too. I like to customize my recipes to use what I have on hand.
Today I was inspired by Christmas. So, the recipe I’m sharing with you today has cherries in it to fit right into the Christmas spirit. It also includes chocolate because who doesn’t like chocolate?!
The sweet cherries give this bread a great flavor. I used dehydrated cherries. However, frozen cherries will work well in this recipe too.
I used the Sweet Creations Mini Loaf Pan to bake my cherry chocolate chip bread. I like that I can bake four mini loaves and have just one pan to clean. Less clean up is always a plus. 🙂 These little loaves are just the right size for sharing too.
- 2 cups Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Soy Milk or Regular Milk
- ⅓ cup Oil
- 1 cup Dried Cherries, rehydrated and chopped
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1-2 teaspoons Soy Milk or Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the dried cherries in hot water and let sit to rehydrate about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the cherries are plump, drain off any excess liquid and chop, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar with a whisk.
- In another bowl, mix together the eggs, milk or soy milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
- Grease the mini loaf pan and then add the batter filling about ⅔ full.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 28 minutes or until golden brown on top and baked through.
- Let cool in the pans for about 5 minutes then lift the loaves out.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place the powdered sugar into a bowl and add in the vanilla and 1 teaspoon of milk.
- Stir well.
- If mixture seems a little to thick, add the other teaspoon of milk and mix well.
- Drizzle over the tops of the bread.
What’s your favorite type of quick bread to make?
More Quick Bread Recipes,