This recipe comes from a neighbor who always made treats at Christmas time for us. He lived just across the street from us for many years.
His wife had passed but he still made some great treats at Christmas time. Before he shared his rice krispie treats with us, I had never had them with chocolate on top.
Since I love chocolate you know it was a big hit with me.
I figured I couldn’t be the only one who had never had chocolate covered rice krispie treats, so I thought I would share this recipe today. I still like rice krispie treats plain but it is a special treat to have chocolate on them. I think butterscotch would also be a wonderful topping too.
I made my usual batch of rice krispie treats, but I added peanut butter to them. Making them chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats. I’m sharing my peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe below, just in case you need a recipe.
For the chocolate topping, I melted the chocolate chips in the microwave and then spread the chocolate on top. The amount of chocolate chips needed depends on how thick of chocolate frosting you want. I used a full bag (2 cups) to frost our 9 by 13-inch pan of rice krispie treats.
Using a full bag of chocolate chips results in a nice thick chocolate layer. So if you love chocolate you might want to use the full bag. If you just want a little chocolate flavor I would use less. I think half to 3/4 a bag should cover a 9 by 13 pan adequately but not turn out too thick.
If you have people in your family who aren’t crazy about chocolate, then you might try making these with butterscotch chips instead. I’m sure they would be wonderful with the peanut butter rice krispie treats.
Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
- 3 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 10.5 oz package of Mini Marshmallows
- 5 cups Crispy Rice Cereal
- 12 oz Chocolate Chips
- Grease a 9 by 13-inch pan and set aside
- Place margarine, peanut butter and marshmallow in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave them one minute and then stir, microwave another minute and stir until smooth.
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal and mix well.
- Press into the greased pan. I find that it is easier to press the mixture into the pan if I first spray my hands with non-stick spray and use my hands.
- Place the chocolate chips in another microwave safe bowl and microwave for one minute then stir. Microwave 30 seconds then stir. Continue the 30 second and stirring intervals until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Spread on top of the Rice Krispie treats and then set aside to cool. I placed mine in the refrigerator to help speed up the process.
- Then cut into serving size pieces and enjoy.
That’s just how simple it is to make these chocolate covered rice krispie treats. They are so delicious, everyone loves them in our family. We keep them dairy free by using dairy-free chocolate chips, like these. (affiliate link)
Have you made rice krispie treats before with chocolate on top? If you have, how did you like them?
Read more posts in this 31 days of Homemade Sweet Treats series.
More Yummy Homemade Desserts to Try,