Roasted Rhubarb Jam
Growing rhubarb seems to be pretty easy. Well at least where I live. You plant it and each year it just starts growing and producing right away in the spring. I grew up eating rhubarb in bread, crisps and pie. But something I had never tried was rhubarb jam, well that is until last year. When I was faced last year with lots and lots of rhubarb, I knew it was time to try something new with this prolific plant.
Last year I prepared some Rhubarb Jam and some Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. Both turned out really well and we all love them. I decided to search out a new recipe to try again this year and I discovered Roasted Rhubarb Jam. Doesn’t it just sound really fancy?
Well, this recipe was perfect in it only took 3 ingredients and made about 1 cup. It also takes very little hands on time and you don’t have to babysit it on the stove top. I also was happy it made a small batch. So if we didn’t end up liking it, there wouldn’t be much waste. I also did change the recipe just slightly to meet our taste a little better. I just can’t help but to tinker a little with a recipe you know.
Roasted Rhubarb Jam (adapted slightly from this recipe)
1 pound Rhubarb sliced into one inch chunks
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg (the original recipe called for cinnamon)
- Place the cut up rhubarb into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. I like to use a glass one.
- Add the sugar and nutmeg and give it a good stir.
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-40 minutes. Or until nicely roasted and soft.
- Stir to break up the chunks of rhubarb slightly and to combined.
- Cool and then place in a clean jar.
- This will keep up to two-weeks in the refrigerator. (if it lasts that long 🙂 )
Have you ever tried making homemade jam? What is your favorite?
If You Liked this Recipe
Subscribe and you'll get Recipes
sent right to your inbox!
Click the button below and fill out the form.