Get the Free
Give Once a Month Cooking a try,
Once a Month Cooking sessions consist of shopping, cooking and freezing your meals for a whole month. I tried this a few times myself but I just didn’t mesh with this type of freezer cooking. Now I loved having so many meals ready to go in the freezer for the month. Just thaw and heat and eat. What could be easier. I just dreaded the weekend of shopping, prepping, cooking, cooling and then freezing so many meals.
Don’t get me wrong there are lots of homemakers that do this every month. Some homemakers get together with friends and each friend cooks a few meals and then they do a swap of meals. Some others will team up with a friend and cook all their meals together and split the meals. There are many different ways to do OAMC session. There are lots of homemakers that use this method and love it.
I have just found in my experience the supplies I need to make all the dishes are never on sale at the same time. So I end up paying a lot for a few items and purchase some on sale. But if you usually end up going out to dinner instead of cooking at home, OAMC could really save you money even if you don’t get the ingredients on sale.
Here are my list of Pro’s and Con’s to freezer cooking once a month
- The mess and clean up are done on one day, not every night.
- Shopping is out-of-the-way in one big trip. You only need to pick up fresh items from the store the rest of the month.
- Quick and easy dinner prep all month-long, thaw, heat and eat.
- All the work is done in one day and can make it a long day.
- Not all ingredients will be on sale on the shopping day.
- There is less variety in your menu unless you make many different meals which adds to your work too.