Some days you need an easy dinner recipe. One you can put together in just a few minutes that everyone will eat. This meatball sandwich is just that recipe.
This isn’t your average meatball sandwich with sauce. No, I have picky eaters when it comes to soggy bread. They can’t stand a soggy sandwich. So this is my twist on the classic meatball sandwich.
It has great flavor and no sauce to make the bread soggy.
Easy Baked Meatball Sandwich Recipe
I love oven baked dinners, don’t you?
You can put everything in the oven and let it bake. No stirring, no watching the pot so it doesn’t boil over.
You can put everything in the oven and let it bake while you do something else. Which is so nice. Especially during that busy time of the day after work or school and right before dinner.
And you can make these even easier to make by using freezer meatballs. Which I highly recommend.
But you don’t have to use store-bought meatballs. Oh no. You can make your own meatballs ahead of time and have them waiting for you in the freezer.
I keep my freezer stocked with meatballs easily with this freezer cooking tip.
Anytime I see ground beef on sale at the store, I buy 1-2 packages. With one package I’ll make a batch or two of meatballs. I’ll bake them while I’m cleaning up the kitchen. Then I put them into the freezer in meal-sized packages.
Then when I need meatballs for a recipe like this one or another one. All I have to do is grab a package of precooked meatballs and bake.
It makes getting dinner done so much easier. And it doesn’t take too long to make meatballs for the freezer either.
But if you don’t have meatballs waiting in the freezer, you can pick up a package from the stores freezer section. Either way, the meal will be great.
How to Make a Meatball Sandwich (recipe video)
Want to see the recipe made before you try it? Watch the recipe video below. Be sure to keep going to get the printable recipe below too.
Meatball Sandwich Recipe Tips…
I like to use precooked meatballs from the freezer because they cook in about the same time as the vegetables. I place the frozen meatballs on the sheet pan with the seasoned vegetables and bake.
The vegetables and the meatballs get done at the same time.
If you are cooking meatballs from raw, you’ll need to cook the meatballs until they have about 15-20 minutes left to bake and then add the vegetables to the sheet pan.
If you are short on time, you don’t have to toast the hoagie rolls. Just serve the meatballs on the rolls without toasting them.
You can add mustard and mayonnaise to the rolls after toasting if you’d like. We ate them without either and they were good.
Can’t or don’t want to eat bread?
Skip the hoagie rolls and serve over a bed or rice or just on a plate to make this dinner low carb.
Or serve in a tortilla instead. Use what you have on hand.
Grab the printable recipe…
Italian Meatball Sandwich
- 16-20 Meatballs precooked frozen
- 1 medium Purple Onion
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Parsley dried
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 cup Cheese grated
- 4 Hoagie Rolls
- 1 tablespoon Butter or Margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Parsley dried
- Slice the bell pepper and onion place in a bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Mix well. Sprinkle on the vegetable.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil and stir to distribute the oil and spices.
- Place on a sheet pan.
- Add the frozen meatballs to the sheet pan.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until the vegetables are slightly browned and the meatballs are cooked. If using raw meatballs cook meatballs on their own until the last 20 minutes then add the vegetables to the sheet pan.
- While the meatballs and vegetables cook prepare the rolls. Butter the rolls and sprinkle with additional garlic powder and parsley. Broil until slightly toasted.
- Once done cooking add 4-5 meatballs to each toasted roll. Add 1/4 of the vegetables on top of the meatballs and then top with cheese.
- Place under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. About 1-2 minutes.
- Place the top bun on top and serve.
That’s how easy it is to make a meatball sandwich for dinner. You can start with homemade meatballs from the freezer or use meatballs from the store, either way will work. And you’ll have an easy dinner that your family will enjoy.