Recently I shared a recipe for Freezer Friendly Meatballs. I love having them in the freezer to make an easy dinner recipe like the recipe I’m sharing today.
By having the meatballs already waiting in the freezer makes getting this meal on the table a snap. You can prepare the meatballs in the slow cooker or in the oven which ever will work out best for you. I have made them both ways.
In the Slow Cooker
For the slow cooker method, I add the cooked meatballs to the slow cooker then add a cup or two of teriyaki sauce, depending on how many meatballs I’m making. I also add half a can of pineapple tidbits to the slow cooker. With about 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice.I stir the meatballs to coat them well. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
When I making them in the oven I place the cooked meatballs in a baking dish, add the teriyaki sauce, pineapple juice and the pineapple. Stir to coat and bake on 375 for about 30 minutes or until heated through.
How I Serve the Meatballs
I usually serve the teriyaki meatballs over rice. For added vegetables you can add in some sliced carrots and sliced green peppers too. I find it’s easier to get my picky eater to eat his vegetables if they are in the sauce too. Broccoli would also be a good addition.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
I like to make my own teriyaki sauce (recipe included below). But the store bought sauces work really well too. I just make sure to purchase a glaze type sauce as it seems to work so much better in this recipe than the thinner sauces.
The teriyaki sauce recipe below also works well on chicken too. It only takes a few minutes to make and is so very good.
- 20-25 Meatballs Cooked
- 1/2 can Pineapple Tidbits
- 1 teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Garlic Clove finely minced or 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup Water or 1/2 cup Water (if not using Pineapple Juice)
- 2 tablespoon Corn Starch
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and pineapple juice.
- In a small bowl mix the water and corn starch to make a slurry.
- Heat the soy sauce mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add in the cornstarch slurry and stir while cooking until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the meatballs into a baking dish. Add the pineapple tidbits. Then stir in half to all of the teriyaki sauce.
- Stir to coat and bake 375 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Prepare the sauce as above and set aside.
- Place the meatballs and pineapple tidbits into the slow cooker. Add half to all of the sauce.
- Stir to coat well.
- Cook over low heat 4-6 hours or until heated through.
What is your favorite way to eat meatballs?
Did you know I’m on Pinterest?
Find more recipes and thrifty ideas at Thrifty Thursday.