August is the month for hot weather and yummy cool treats. What would be better on a nice bowl of ice cream than a great ice cream topping. I love caramel topping on my ice cream, but my family can’t eat the store bought ones because they contain milk. I decided to try to make caramel sauce at home and this easy caramel sauce recipe turned out great.
While there’re a few types of dairy free ice cream out there on the market, it can be hard to find a caramel sauce that is dairy free. After all, most caramel sauces are made with butter. So for a long time we just skipped the caramel sauce and stuck with chocolate sauce that I made at home for an ice cream topping. I had a recipe for hot fudge sauce and thought I might be able to alter it to make a caramel sauce. After a few tries, I settled on this recipe and everyone who has tried it likes it. It’s definitely a keeper.
Need a few dairy free ice cream recipes to give this caramel sauce on a try? Click here to see my tried and true homemade dairy free ice cream recipes.
This easy caramel sauce is made with just a few ingredients and it’s quite quick to make. The recipe does contain margarine. We use dairy free margarine in place of butter because it’s dairy free. But if you don’t want to use margarine, and can’t eat butter, coconut oil would be a good substitute in this recipe too.
Ingredients Needed for the Easy Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Margarine, Coconut Oil or Butter (if you don’t have to eat dairy free)
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
How to Make Caramel Sauce
- To make this easy caramel sauce recipe, you start by adding all the ingredients, except the vanilla to a saucepan. I usually give it a whisk and then place the pan on the burner.
- Next you want to heat the mixture over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Be sure to keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, let it boil for one minute. But keep stirring the whole time.
- Remove the caramel sauce from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Store in a clean jar in the refrigerator.
Here’s the print friendly version of the recipe,
Easy Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 cup Margarine Coconut Oil or Butter (if you don’t have to eat dairy free)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Place all the ingredients except the vanilla into a saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring the whole time, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place in a clean glass jar, I use a canning jar with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- This sauce may be heated before drizzling on ice cream for a warm caramel sauce.
That’s all there is to making this dairy free caramel sauce. Now you might be thinking, what kind of ice cream should you use the dairy free caramel sauce on. Well, I have a few dairy free ice cream recipes you can give a try.
All of these recipes above use tofu as a base. But you have to try them. They are so good and you’ll never know there is tofu in them at all. They turn out creamy and delicious, just like regular dairy ice cream.
What’s your favorite ice cream to have during the hot days of summer? I think my favorite is vanilla chocolate chip.
If You Liked this Recipe
Subscribe and you'll get Recipes
sent right to your inbox!
Click the button below and fill out the form.