What to Cook for Dinner?
It’s cold and chilly outside and you are craving comfort food for dinner. But it’s a busy weeknight, what do you do? You pull out a bag of chicken pot pie filling from the freezer and make chicken pot pie for your family.
Making chicken pot pie fill is super easy to do. Just chop the chicken and vegetables. Make the sauce or use cans of soup and then stir. It really can be that easy to make.
I usually make a batch of my cream of something soup mix, add veggies and chicken to our chicken pot pie filling. Then cook it for a bit. Add the crust and bake the chicken pot pie.
But I wanted to be able to have the pot pie filling ready to go and only have to make the pie crust or biscuits to go on top. For those busy weeknights when we are craving comfort food.
If you want to make a batch of cheesy chicken pot pie filling, just follow the easy steps below.
Making Chicken Pot Pie Filling for the Freezer
Step 1 Prepare the Vegetables
Peel, slice, and chop the vegetables for the pot pie. Add a little olive oil to a large pot. Cook the vegetables for a few minutes.
Step 2. Add Your Chicken
After the vegetables are cooked, add the cooked chicken to the pot and stir to mix.
Step 3. Add Your Sauce or Soup
If you’ll be making your own sauce make two batches of the dairy free cheese sauce (find the recipe below) and make one batch of the cream of soup too. Mix with the chicken and vegetables.
If you want a ready made alternative to making your own sauce. Combine one to two cans of cheese soup and one to two can of cream of chicken soup to the chicken and vegetable mixture. You want a total of three cans of soup.
If you want more cheese flavor use two cheese soups with one cream of chicken. Want less cheese flavor? Use 1 can of cheese soup and 2 cans of cream of chicken. Want to skip the cheese flavor? Use 3 cans of cream of chicken soup instead.
Cool the pot pie filling. Then divide the the filling into 3 gallon sized freezer bags. Label and freeze.
To Prepare Chicken Pot Pie with Freezer Filling
When you are ready to prepare a pot pie, just thaw and place the pot pie filling into a pie plate lined with a pie crust if you want a double crust pot pie. Or just add it to the pie plate and add a pie crust on top for a single pie crust pot pie.
Don’t want to use pie crust? Try making a batch of these easy biscuits and place them on top of the filling instead.
Bake and eat! It’s that simple really!
Get the printable recipes below…
Chicken Pot Pie Filling for the Freezer
- Cook the vegetables in the olive oil over medium heat until the vegetables are just a little tender. About 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and diced cooked chicken.
- Add the cream soup mix that has been prepared along with the dairy free cheese sauce to the vegetable and chicken mixture. Stir to blend well.
- Add 4 cups of mix to a gallon freezer bag remove air, seal and flatten to make it easy to store in the freezer and thaw.
Instruction for preparing
- Fully thaw the pot pie mix then add to a pie plate or casserole dish for single crust version. If you want a double crust line a pie pan with a pie crust.
- Then top with a pie crust or biscuit dough. Bake 425 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
And here’s the dairy free cheese sauce recipe for you too…
Dairy Free Cheese Sauce
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
Now even on those busy weeknights you can have a delicious homemade comfort meal for your family. Just make a batch of this cheesy chicken pot pie filling for the freezer and you’ll be ready.
More Freezer Friendly Recipes…