Our family loves pizza. I make it from scratch at least twice a month, sometimes more. I thought it might be nice to have pizza in a little different way for more variety. That’s how this recipe came about.
I altered my Beef Biscuit Cups By replacing the biscuits with pizza dough. I also altered the filling by adding a little pepperoni and used tomato sauce with pizza seasonings in it. They turned out really good so I knew I had to share them. I also found that these little pizza cups freeze very nicely and reheat well too. If you have the time, be sure to make a second batch for the freezer. For a quick lunch or dinner.
I usually make my own pizza dough. It’s a quick and easy recipe that I can get together in about 15 minutes, no need to let it rise. Then roll it out and place into the muffin tin. I tried to use my silicone muffin cups, that I love so much but the dough just kept sliding off of them. For this recipe you really need to use a muffin tin pan. I’m glad I kept mine.
This recipe calls for pepperoni which can be a little expensive. I usually purchase packages of pepperoni on sale for around $2 each with a coupon. If you can’t find pepperoni on sale you could just leave it out and just use the hamburger instead.
I added in some peppers because I had them on hand, but olives or mushrooms would work great too. Just use any of your favorite pizza toppings.
I like to do cost breakdowns of recipes, just so I know how much each meal is going to cost us. The cost of this recipe works out to be $4.24 or $.24 each pizza cup.
That cost is with the pepperoni included. I can usually get a head of lettuce for about $.30 a head at our discount grocery store. A meal of pizza cups with salad comes to around $5 for the 4 of us.
You might even be able to make them a little more cost effective if you can find the cheese on sale. I use a small amount of cheese in the recipe because I need to purchase dairy free cheese for my family. But if you find a good deal on the cheese you could even make these for less and add more cheese too.
- 1 batch pizza dough or you can use the pizza dough from the store in the tubes
- 20 slices of Pepperoni cut into small pieces
- ½ pound ground beef or turkey browned
- 1 cups of Shredded Cheese
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of tomato sauce with pizza seasoning added to taste (garlic, basil, oregano)
- Make up the pizza dough and divide into 12-18 pieces. Press and stretch each piece of dough into greased muffin tins. The pizza dough should line the inside of the muffin tin bottom and sides.
- Set the muffin tins aside and in a bowl mix up the tomato sauce with the seasonings. Add in bell pepper, pepperoni and cooked ground beef. Stir to blend.
- Add filling to the dough cups in the muffin tins. Just distribute the filling evenly. Then top with cheese.
- Bake 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden in color.
- Let sit 5 minutes and remove from muffin tins.
- Serve. Or to freeze them cool in the refrigerator and then package in freezer bags. Removing as much air as you can before sealing.
This recipe was shared a while ago but I wanted to bring it forward since I updated the photos and made the recipe printable too. Enjoy!
This is an older post I just updated to make the recipe printable and I added some new photos too. It’s part of the 4 Weeks of Frugal Recipes series.
Other Posts in This Series