Easy and quick breakfast dishes are a must for weekdays. And this simple breakfast of eggs and asparagus is delicious and quick. Perfect for a vegetable packed breakfast even on a busy weekday morning.
On weekday mornings often it’s get up and out the door but eating a good breakfast to fuel you through the day is the best way to start the day.
And when you add a nutrient-packed breakfast with vegetables and eggs your day will be off to a good start.
Plus, you can prep ahead some of this dish to make it even easier to make in the morning.
What You’ll Need for this Easy Breakfast Skillet
- Eggs, 1-2 per person
- Asparagus 1-4 spears per person
- Cheese, shredded Romano or Parmesan
- Fat, I like to use bacon fat but any fat or oil will do
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Prepping the Ingredients
Before you get to cooking, you’ll need to prep the ingredients. Which most of this can be done the night before. Or even a day or two in advance.
You’ll need to prep your asparagus after washing. I like this method to help save as much of the asparagus as I can.
But if you are in a hurry, hold the ends a spear, bend the asparagus spears and let if snap off naturally. Line that first one with the rest and cut at the same length.
Slice and your asparagus is ready to go. If you are prepping ahead of time, place in a zipper bag or in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready.
The cheese can be grated right before use, right onto the plate, or in advance. We like a sharp flavored hard cheese like Romano. But any cheese you like will work.
If prepping ahead of time, shred the cheese and place in an airtight container.
Right before you cook crack 1-2 eggs per person and whip with a small whisk or fork. Set aside while you heat the pan.
That’s all the advanced prepping needed. Now let’s get to cooking.
How to Make Asparagus and Eggs
Here’s a quick video showing the prepping steps above and the cooking of the eggs too. Don’t like videos? Skip on down to the written directions and the recipe below.
Cooking the Egg Skillet Breakfast, Step by Step with Tips
Now that everything is prepared we are ready to cook. This recipe is quick to make so be sure you have everything ready before you start.
1. Preheat the Skillet
Put your skillet on the burner and turn to medium. Add the bacon fat or other fat and let melt.
2. Add the Asparagus
Once the fat is melted, place the asparagus into the skillet. Cook and stir until the asparagus slices are lightly browned and tender. About 2-3 minutes.
Recipe Tip: If your asparagus is thicker or larger in diameter it might need a little longer cooking time.
3. Push Asparagus to the Sides of Skillet
Once the asparagus is tender. It’s time to add our whipped eggs. Pour them in the center of the pan.
4. Sprinkle with Pepper and Salt
Right after adding the eggs to the pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Push Asparagus on Top of Egg
Move the asparagus slices to the top of the eggs. Fold the eggs gently to engulf the asparagus. This will help the asparagus stay in the eggs and not just in the pan with the eggs.
Recipe Tip: Stir gently while cooking. Try to fold the asparagus into the eggs so it will engulf them into the eggs.
6. Cook until Done
Gently stir the eggs and asparagus, keeping the eggs moving until they are the desired doneness. We like our eggs with a bit of brown on them. But you might prefer them differently.
7. Remove Skillet From Burner
Once the eggs are cooked, remove the skillet from the burner. Dish onto a plate and sprinkle with cheese. And serve.
That’s how simple and easy this healthy, vegetable packed breakfast can be. Grab the printable recipe below…
Eggs and Asparagus Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- 1-2 Eggs per person
- 1-3 Asparagus Spears per person
- 2 teaspoons Romano Cheese shredded, per person
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 tablespoon Oil or Bacon Fat
- Wash the asparagus spears and take the woody ends off. Slice. Set aside.
- Grate the cheese. Set aside.
- Place skillet on medium heat.
- Place the eggs into a bowl and whip with a whisk.
- Place the oil or bacon fat into warmed skillet. Let melt.
- Add asparagus slices to skillet and cook until tender and slightly browned about 2-3 minutes
- Push the cooked asparagus to the sides of the skillet.
- Add the eggs in the middle of the skillet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Push asparagus into the middle of the eggs.
- Fold and move the eggs in the skillet gently so the asparagus slices get engulfed into the eggs.
- Cook until the eggs are cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove skillet from stovetop.
- Place the eggs onto a plate and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve and Enjoy!